Saturday, June 12, 2010

Mark 3:20-21

Can you imagine people considering you crazy? "Well, there goes the nut-job!" And if you've gone crazy for something you absolutely believe in, it gets more upsetting. You've given your life whole-heartedly to something, and people call you possessed.

What makes it really difficult in Jesus' case is that His family thinks He's lost His mind. Now on one hand, that's almost humorous; the created call their Creator crazy. But on the other hand, we may have a picture here of what Jesus' family really thinks of Him. We can only speculate what Jesus' early life looked like. Was He appreciated? Was He loved?

In Judaism, Jesus comes from an affair between Mary and a Roman soldier (I forgot his name). Though we as Christians believe otherwise, what was the thought in Jesus' day? We don't know for sure, but I suppose that most people considered Him a second-class class citizen and possibly illegitimate. He came from an unwed mother and father. The mother says she got pregnant through the Holy Spirit. That whole story sounds ludicrous and bizarre.

And now, your crazy mother calls YOU crazy! Apparently, Jesus did not have the greatest relationship with His family.

Which then makes me wonder....

Am I sold out for Jesus; obsessed with Him to the point that people call me weird? Are you?

2 comments:

Jamie Carroll said...

I think you're weird, honey. Don't worry. :)

Geoff said...

Don't worry, Mom. I'm not suggesting anything between you and me:-)